Billy has suddenly been having issues with his printer/scanner since the latest macOS Big Sur update. Basically, he gets an error that he doesn't have permission to run the app. Leo says that's Apple's new Gatekeeper security feature that will only allow him to run apps only from the App Store or approved by Apple. There is a workaround though until Apple puts out a fix. Here are the steps:
- Quit any apps that are open.
- From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/Image Capture/Devices, then press Return.
- In the window that opens, double-click the app named in the error message. It's the name of your scanner driver. Nothing should happen when you open it.
- Close the window and open the app you were using to scan. A new scan should proceed normally. If you later choose to scan from a different app and get the same error, repeat these steps.
It's also possible that it's a permissions issue.