Could I capture video from an old HD camcorder over USB?

Episode 984 (2:26:11)

Tom from Irvine, CA
Grass Valley ADVC110

Tom has an old Firewire Sony HD camcorder, but his PC has USB only. Is there an adapter he can use? Leo says he wouldn't want to do that. USB isn't fast enough. He should buy a Firewire card for his PC, and then he can import the video at full speed and full quality. The other way to go is to get an analog to digital converter like the Grass Valley AVDC110, but it'll degrade the video quality.

If his PC has USB3, however, then that's a good choice and there are USB3-firewire connectors.