Betty bought Webroot software for her XP Machine. She renewed and reinstalled it. Now she sees nothing on her screen. The problem with XP is that Microsoft no longer supports it and flaws are making Betty vulnerable. No antivirus will protect her from those vulnerabilities. Leo suggests going into the programs and uninstall everything and start from scratch. Also, here are a few steps Betty can take to protect herself since Microsoft has stopped supporting XP:
1. Stop using XP as an administrator. Use it as a limited user instead. Add an account as an administrator and then demote her existing account to limited user. This will stop over 90% of all the exploits out there.
2. Stop using Internet Explorer. Go with Google Chrome. It's free and far more secure.
3. Don't click on links in email.
4. Only get software from original vendors.
5. Keep the anti virus software up to date.
6. Stop using Java
7. Use a password vault like LastPass
8. Turn on second factor authentication