James just bought a new computer and he's concerned that Microsoft Security Essentials won't be good enough. Leo says that Microsoft Security Essentials works just fine, but he will have to keep it updated and constantly patch Windows. If he's not patching Windows with updates, even Essentials won't be able to protect him completely. Other things he can do is:
- Stop using Windows as an administrator. Use it as a limited user instead. Add an account as an administrator and then demote your existing account to limited user. This will stop over 90% of all the exploits out there.
- Stop using Internet Explorer. Go with Google Chrome. It's free and far more secure.
- Don't click on links in email.
- Only get software from original vendors.
- Keep antivirus software up to date.
- Don't use Java
- Use a password vault like LastPass
- Turn on second factor authentication
No antivirus is perfect. The real factor is what he does online and that he keeps his system up to date. Also, he should make sure he gets rid of the old antivirus before he runs the new one.