Nick has a very old netbook running Windows Vista. He also has an old Windows XP machine. Will they still be working if he restarts them? Leo says that they should. He may have an issue with authenticating Windows and the software he's using. XP and Vista also pose a security issue as Microsoft has declared them both "end of life" for security fixes. So Leo recommends not connecting it to the internet after authentication. Here are some things he can do to protect himself anyway:
1. Stop using XP as an administrator. Use it as a limited user instead. Add an account as an administrator and then demote your existing account to limited user. This will stop over 90% of all the exploits out there.
2. Stop using Internet Explorer. Go with Google Chrome. It's free and far more secure.
3. Don't click on links in email.
4. Only get your software from original vendors.
5. Keep your anti virus software up to date.
6. Stop using Java
7. Use a password vault like LastPass
8. Turn on second factor authentication